Public Meeting and Drop-In Times Finalized!! See the Notice or below for details.
The Township of East Zorra-Tavistock has been examining options to address growing facility constraints. Council is now meeting in the Oxford County Council Chambers so space at the Hickson Office can be repurposed until a long-term solution is found.
The Hickson Municipal Office was built in 1970, with a renovation in 1998. While the renovation created improvements and additional space, continued growth, increasing demands, changing accessibility requirements and increased expectations are leading to the need to examine options for the future. Significant constraints have been identified with the Hickson Municipal Office. They include:
- Accessibility – only the upper level is accessible by an outside ramp – increasing freeze/thaw cycles in the winter have been causing significant maintenance problems on the ramp
- Storage Space – running out of space for storage, while a lot of information is now digital, the Township is required to maintain a significant amount of hardcopy documents
- Council moved to Oxford County Council Chambers to repurpose Council space in the office.
- Water / Wastewater - septic system is in need of replacement, while water supply comes from neighbour – water regulations are making this arrangement more difficult
- While the office can run on a portable trailer generator, there is no water available during power outage
- On-site Standby Generator – an electrical generator needed for power outage, but holding off until there is a plan for the office - current expectations are that water and electricity should be available at all times
- Office Space – need for improved privacy and security for some office functions (improved privacy for discussion of taxation matters, personal items, etc.), work stations are in poor locations (ie. next to copier)
- Meeting space requirements – need appropriate space depending on the nature of the meeting (ie. proper space for Council, staff meetings, etc)
- Major Interior maintenance required throughout the office - very little has been completed since 1998 – carpet replacement, paint all areas, proper wiring/networking to areas now being used for office space
- Address HVAC problems – difficulty maintaining appropriate temperatures between upstairs/downstairs
- Parking lot improvements will be required in several years
Feedback and Comments
To help develop and work towards a preferred option, Council is looking for your thoughts and comments. All of the information provided to Council on this matter is available for review. A single PDF document in chronological order can be reviewed to assist with formulating comments and feedback. If you would like to speak to Council or Staff, see the Contact Page. If you would like a hardcopy please contact the undersigned.
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 10:00 am (part of the regular Council meeting at the Oxford County Administration Building) – 21 Reeve Street, Woodstock ON
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. Innerkip Community Centre, 695566 Oxford Road 5, Innerkip ON
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. Tavistock Memorial Hall, 3 Adam Street, Tavistock ON
Public Drop-In / Open House:
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 from 4 – 6 p.m. Hickson Municipal Office, 90 Loveys Street, Hickson ON (no presentation – drop-in, speak with Councillors and Staff, view the Hickson Office)
If you can’t make one of the meetings, or you wish to complete the survey after attending a Public Meeting, the survey is still open. Or you can contact your Councillors to let them know your thoughts.
We would encourage you to read the background information before completing the survey.
If you would prefer to complete a hard copy of the survey, it is available from the Township Office and Innerkip and Tavistock Libraries. Comments can also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail.
Chief Administrative Officer