The Township of East Zorra-Tavistock has been examining options to address growing facility constraints. Council is now meeting in the Oxford County Council Chambers so space at the Hickson Office can be repurposed until a long-term solution is found.
The Hickson Municipal Office was built in 1970, with a renovation in 1998. While the renovation created improvements and additional space, continued growth, increasing demands, changing accessibility requirements and increased expectations are leading to the need to examine options for the future. Significant constraints have been identified with the Hickson Municipal Office. They include:
- Accessibility – only the upper level is accessible by an outside ramp – increasing freeze/thaw cycles in the winter have been causing significant maintenance problems
- Storage Space – running out of space for storage, while a lot of information is now digital, the Township is required to maintain a significant amount of hardcopy documents
- Council moved to Oxford County Council Chambers to repurpose Council space in the office.
- Water / Wastewater - septic system is in need of replacement, while water supply comes from neighbour – water regulations are making this arrangement more difficult
- While the office can run on a portable trailer generator, there is no water available during power outage
- On-site Standby Generator – an electrical generator needed for power outage, but holding off until there is a plan for the office
- Office Space – need for improved privacy and security for some office functions (improved privacy for discussion of taxation matters, personal items, etc.), work stations are in poor locations (ie. next to copier)
- Meeting space requirements – appropriate space depending on the nature of the meeting (ie. proper space for Council, staff meetings, etc)
- Major Interior maintenance required throughout the office - very little has been completed since 1998 – carpet replacement, paint all areas, proper wiring/networking to areas now being used for office space
- Address HVAC problems – difficulty maintaining appropriate temperatures between upstairs/downstairs
- Parking lot improvements will be required in several years
To further explore the options to address space requirements, Council is currently seeking input and feedback on this matter and requesting expressions of interest on providing space.
General Feedback and Comments
To help develop and work towards a preferred option, Council is looking for your thoughts and comments. All of the information provided to Council on this matter is available for review. A single PDF document in chronological order can be reviewed to assist with formulating comments and feedback. If you would like to speak to Council or Staff, see the Contact Page. If you would like a hardcopy please contact the undersigned.
General Feedback and Comments submitted by Thursday, June 15, 2017 will be included in the report for the June 21, 2017 Council meeting. Comments can be submitted to email@example.com or by mail.
Request for Expression of Interest to Provide Municipal Office Space and Council Chambers
The second purpose is to determine whether there is interest in providing office space to the Township which will help Council when considering the various options. Reviewing the background information will give proponents an idea of the space requirements and general requirements of the Township. Interested proponents need to complete the Request for Expressions of Interest Form. Expressions of Interest to provide office space are due by Friday, June 9, 2017 at 12:00 noon. They must be submitted in accordance with the instructions in the Request for Expressions of Interest Documents.
Chief Administrative Officer