Encourage smokers to smoke outside
Careless smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires. If you do allow smoking indoors use large, deep ashtrays that can't be knocked over and make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan. Ensure they are aware of all exits in your home.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
- Don't drink & drive or let your guests drink & drive. Make sure you plan ahead and have a designated driver, arrange for a cab or other alternative transportation.