Skip to main content
An error has occurred. Error: Top Nav is currently unavailable.

Office Hours

Mon-Fri 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Closed for lunch from 12 noon to 1p.m.
View the Calendar for holiday hours.

Contact Information

Township of East Zorra-Tavistock
Box 100, 90 Loveys Street
Hickson ON  N0J 1L0
Phone: 519.462.2697
Fax: 519.462.2961
ezt@ezt.ca

Website Information

© 2014 Township of East Zorra-Tavistock

Township of East Zorra-Tavistock

View Details

Fireworks Safety


Posted in the EaZyTalk Newsletter page on 07/20/2016 09:20:47 on Wednesday, July 20, 2016.

Fireworks are only permitted on Victoria Day, Canada Day and New years Eve, and only between 8pm-Midnight of the same day as per the Noise By-law 2008-36.

To minimize the risk of fire and burn injury, the fire service does not recommend family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.

The fire service recommends attending public fireworks displays hosted by your municipality or other responsible organization.

If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks. Here are some  important safety tips to be followed: 

· Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the  hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.

· Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.

· Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.

· Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.

· Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are    discharged.

· Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal    container.

· Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.

· Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite   clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.

· If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.                         

                                                        Information from the “Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs”

.
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved - EZT